because nothing is cut and dry.

Monday, October 26, 2009

nothing like mary oliver excerpts to lighten my life

"When it's over, I want to say: all my life
I was a bride married to amazement.
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms."

rodney had us read and discuss this mary oliver poem at our staff meeting last week. ever since, whenever i've felt frustrated or sad or aggravated or judgmental or uptight, i've asked myself "am i acting like i'm married to amazement right now?" and try to remind myself what it's like to live life in constant wonder about everything around me. i was like that once, but it happens less and less easily, less and less often. i'm trying to find it again.

"Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination"
-- wild geese

"Never has the world seemed so fresh and precious.
Have a cup of tea and rejoice.
Act as if armistice has already arrived.
Don't wait another minute."
-- wage peace
[mistakenly attributed to m.o., actually by judyth hill. also my senior high school yearbook quote. i really felt that way, the world so breathtaking and at my fingertips.]

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?"

No comments:

Post a Comment